Skip to content

Ignite Raleigh 3 Speaker Proposals

Welcome to the official Ignite Raleigh 3 presentation submission site

What are you passionate about… what do you geek out on…. what do you want to share with the world?

Submit your Ignite talk today. Consider adding a link to a short video pitch of your talk (under 1 minute), so that the community can get a better sense of your presentation style.

What is Ignite? It’s a series of speedy presentations, a sort of geek variety show. The speaker format is 20 slides, slides auto-rotated each 15 seconds. If you had only 5 minutes on stage, what would you say? Hack the format. Make it interesting. Perhaps forget the boring bullets. Tell your story visually.

Check out presentation videos from past Ignite Raleigh, Durham and other Ignite shows on YouTube. Ignite events now play in over 100 cities on 5 continents. Ignite Raleigh 2 was the largest Ignite show in the world to date. Be a part of this global creative phenomenon.

Speakers, create your talk about a topic you are passionate about… share a part of your life that isn’t part of the day job. There are no sales pitches allowed. This is about expertise, education, humanities, science, arts, geekdom, entertainment…. the nuance of something.

14 speakers will be selected based on voting and organizing committee consideration. Voting closes on February 9th at 12:01am. Each person has 20 votes for their favorite topics. Cheating will not be tolerated and our system detects voting irregularity and duplication.

Get Your Tickets For Ignite Raleigh 3 NOW!

Enlighten us, but make it quick.

Fire it up!!

Ignite Raleigh 3 will be held February 16th at the Lincoln Theatre. The event is free, but has a charity component, BandTogether.

24 results found

1. The Way Employment REALLY Works

Everybody's been in the job search trenches before, and it stinks. Applications are ignored, interviews go wildly wrong, companies want to pay you peanuts. What's not working, and why is the process so difficult? I work as a professional recruiter (I promise, I won't spam you with phone calls if you vote for me) and I spend every day in the job search trenches. I've learned a lot about the good, the bad, the ugly, and the bizarre elements looking for a job, and I want to give an irreverant, hopeful look into the way job searches REALLY work.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Today's Teen: Friend, Foe or Antichrist?

Adolescence. We’ve all been there, and our parents have the gray hair, ulcers and old restraining orders to prove it. So why are we surprised when our own teenage kids turn out to be just as demonic as we were? (Actually, let’s go ahead and agree that they’re worse.) This speech will give you a helpful new paradigm through which to view those little monsters – er, miracles – and in the process, hopefully create some peace between generations. That will free us up to then tackle easier problems, like peace in the Middle East.

195 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. What I learned from my college application – eight years later.

One giant jar of mustard, middle school poetry, my nerdy teen years, and the value of paying it forward – a story about compassion, people, and making a difference on a non-global level.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Lifestyle Design, and The Currency of the New Rich

Do you live to work, or work to live? Do you have the time, inspiration, and energy to follow your passions, live your wildest dreams? Are you excited to wake up in the morning, or does your life look more like the movie 'Groundhog Day'?

If you want a good kick in the pants, this talk is for you! I'm talking about an unconventional way of living, prioritizing time and freedom above all else - a lifestyle that you can have!

Learn about the currency of the "new rich". How do lifestyle designers travel the world, explore their hobbies, get…

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Playing Nice In the Sandbox: The Triangle, Silicon Valley, Bombay and Beijing

The Triangle is one of the best places on earth. Raleigh was recently named America's Best City. Downtown Durham is emerging as a start-up force to be reckoned with. Chapel Hill is home to the nation's oldest public university.

That's all great, but all of that is at risk if we don't play nice in the sandbox.

You'll have to vote and come to Ignite to hear the rest...

228 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Fuzzy quantum pop

What do fuzzy logic, quantum physics, and Pop art have in common?

Hint: The Situationist philosophers grokked it. Here is my video homage to their concept of Drift: http://bit.ly/A0WTrA

Allow me to elaborate?

Vote 'Fuzzy quantum pop'!

170 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Changing the way we think about money

The way we pay for things has gradually evolved over the course of history. Now, however, we are in a period of incredible change. This presents us with the opportunity to embrace new ideas and new technology, as well as some challenging decisions about phasing out dated parts of our monetary system. Join me for a glimpse at the possibilities, and an opinionated look at what should become obsolete in the next decade.

57 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  8. So it turns out I have super powers (and so do you)

A year ago I found out I could melt steel with my heat vision and shoot radioactive cheese whiz from my wrists. I also started wearing a lot of spandex. Well, ok, maybe I don't have those kinds of super powers but I've been discovering that I've got a lot more hero potential than I used to think, and I think you do to. Gimme five minutes and I'll tell you a tale of superheroes, edible code, the 99%, fire breathing unicorns and salad. It's a story about something called Benefacting, and how it got started. It's also a story…

284 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. After Party: Welcome to your Career Apocalypse

Why you should plan on your career apocalypse in 2012 and how to avoid it like a pro. Whether your getting your first job or your 15th, the reality behind living and working in the Triangle. With real stories from the trenches, you will laugh and cry and possibly get plain angry but it doesn't matter, because it's really just therapeutic for me to tell this story.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Infinity in 5 minutes

Back in 1874, a math professor named Georg Cantor suggested that infinity might be more than just a really big number, and what he had to say was so freaky that it got him officially kicked out of the International Association of Really Smart Math People, and also contributed to his bouts with chronic depression and mental illness. Come find out what got all those 19th century math geeks so upset.

173 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I want to hold your hand

Tales of handshakes from my travels around the world, and 7 tips for using your hands to build community.

47 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. Five Minutes for Rocky Mount

We are small business owners and civic-minded residents who want to share the real Rocky Mount. We are an affordable, turn-key destination less than an hour east of the Triangle. We will share with you how our current strengths and future potential can facilitate opportunity and prosperity for you, your family and your business.

108 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. What You Need to Know about Hockey So You Quit Sounding Ignorant at Hurricanes Games

Tired of having no idea what those colored lines on the ice mean? Been made fun of for asking, "aren't those guys cold wearing shorts down there" during a game? Want to know why there are only 3 "quarters" in a game?

Learn what you need to know about hockey to enjoy the sport and be able to drop knowledge at a game such as; "The Hurricanes need to go with the box-plus-one in their own end or the Sedin Twins are going to camp out in the slot all game."

79 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. The Special Snowflakes Strike Back

Entitled. Narcissistic. Lazy. Coddled. Generation "Me". These words and many more have been used to describe Generation Y. But are we ALL really that bad? Or are we the result of expectations gone wrong? Hear from a real live millennial who is looking to quash this stereotype without using childhood participation ribbons or her parents' money.

288 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Eminent Domain: an Imminent Threat

The same laws that once brought electricity and sewage to poor and rural communities can now be used by large companies to force people off their land and out of their homes.

Eminent domain "is an action of the state to seize a citizen's private property, expropriate property, or seize a citizen's rights in property with due monetary compensation, but without the owner's consent."

In 5 minutes I will show you how my rural mountain hometown and a Brooklyn neighborhood were rent in twain by private interests using this loophole meant for public good.

It could be your home next!…

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. So You Wanna Start A Business?

Let's talk about starting a business, shall we? It's rewarding, liberating and fun. Unless it isn't, in which case it's draining, smothering and dreary. I've picked up a thing or two along the way that might help you get started and I'm happy to share my bad experiences in the hope you have some good ones. Vote for this or I'll shoot a panda.

96 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 11 Things You Should Know About Raleigh

Raleigh is a growing city that brings new people in everyday. Some people move here after reading about us being "The Best Place" on a list. These lists have some good information but what what should new residents know about the City of Oaks? These 11 observations will help them quickly understand why Raleigh is the best place to live in the USA!

141 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Zynga: those glorious, brilliant bastards (or Designing the PERFECT webgame in 20 slides!)

Right now, we're coming up on the three year anniversary of FarmVille, and it's amazing to see that this crazy has swept the world by storm. They've taken an idea that seems simple, and spun it into a multi-million dollar empire. For all of their faults, and for however you feel when you see nothing but sheep on your wall, they're brilliant.

And so, I propose to what I think the 19 key elements for a successful webgame should be, so that maybe we can get in on the ground floor of the next big thing.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. What does it mean to be an open source city?

You've heard a lot about open source being a great development model for software, but how can open source be applied to government and the culture of a city?

147 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Sliders and Sam Adams

Three years ago, I walked away from everything I knew and came to Raleigh. It all started while playing bingo. Eating sliders and sharing a pitcher of Sam Adams. This is all about what i learned, lost and changing fear into a motivator. 20 slides in 5 minutes might not be enough, but it's something I've wanted to share.

231 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1

Ignite Raleigh 3 Speaker Proposals

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base